Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I'm with Sam

Today is election day in Oregon! Here in Portland, we have a mayoral election. There are two front runners- Sho Dozono and Sam Adams. Sho Dozono is a small business owner with no previous political experience and head of the Portland Business Alliance. The PBA is an organization I don't like very much because they are one of the main backers of the Sit/Lie Ordinance- a law that makes it illegal to sit or lie on downtown sidewalks. Because, you know, people coming in from the suburbs and tourists are so scared of the homeless that they don't want to go shopping anymore! So let's just make it illegal to sit on the street and then, you know, no one will be homeless anymore. That's how it works, right?

Anyway, Sam Adams, on the other hand, is quite the wonk. I'm not saying he's perfect, but he's certainly one of the most likeable politicians I've ever met. He's currently City Commissioner, he loves bikes and he's gay. And he's a silver fox! Check him out on a mini bike...


Last weekend there was a Mayoral Candidate Donut Eating Contest at world famous Voodoo Doughnuts. The referee was our current mediocor mayor, Tom Potter. A big group of pedicabbers showed up to watch the mayhem, although it was so crowded I couldn't really see anything. Everyone got two doughnuts, expect for Dozono who was given an empty box (HA!). The winner was the young Craig Gier, who I've never heard of and seems to have no real campaign. After the candidates had finished and started to walk away, I ran into the street with my pedicab and shouted at Sam Adams "Sam Adams, let me give you a pedicab ride!!"
"Well, I don't have any cash," he said.
"I don't care, I'll give you a free one! I just want to give Portland's next mayor a pedicab ride."
He laughed and got in and asked me to wait for his boyfriend. And let me just say, what a cute pair they are.
The day before this, Dozono and Adams had held a debate on the local NPR call in show, Think Out Loud. I called in to ask about affordable housing and what the candidates would do. Unfortunately, my nanny boss walked in just as they put me on air, so I got really nervous and just asked the question and hung up. Both Adams and Dozono talked about creating affordable housing for families in Portland. While I obviously think this is important, I'm kind of annoyed by the idea that only families deserve affordable housing- everyone deserves affordable housing. I'm young and fairly low income, and I'm lucky enough that my landlords have only raised my rent once, by $50 total for our 4 bedroom house. So while I had Sam Adams in my pedicab, I took the chance to ask him about it.
"I called Think Out Loud yesterday when you were on," I said "and asked about affordable housing. But all you talked about was affordable housing for families! What about affordable housing for poor 26-year-olds like me?"
"Ohhh," he said "I don't really remember what I said. But I'll help with affordable housing for everyone! For families and poor single 26-year-olds!"
Well, it wasn't a very substantial answer, but it was 1am and he'd just gorged on donuts, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
I did take a cute picture of him and his boyfriend in the back of my cab with my cell phone, but unfortunately the next night my phone fell out of my pocket and got run over. So you'll just have to imagine it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, did he win the mayoral election?

Nickey Robo said...

Yes, he did win! Everyone is psyched.